Alan Stivell - Forum officiel Forum Index

Alan Stivell - Forum officiel
Poser vos questions, mettez des commentaires / Ask questions about Alan Stivell, make comments about his work

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tenval an deiz de Reflets

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Alan Stivell - Forum officiel Forum Index -> Forum 1 -> débattre / breutaat / debate
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Saku de Finlande

PostPosted: 14/11/2007 14:53:41    Post subject: tenval an deiz de Reflets Reply with quote

not sure this worked first time, so forgive me if this is a repeat:

Hello Everyone

Thank you Alan for all the years I have enjoyed your music! Big fan am I!

but on the reflets cd, there is a song called tenval an deiz, which i think is wonderful, but of course i dont understand it...can anyone show me the lyrics, best in English, but I can make out French slowly, or at least tell me what the song is about!

merci

saku
Publicité

PostPosted: 14/11/2007 14:53:41    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
alan
Administrateur

PostPosted: 14/11/2007 18:19:14    Post subject: tenval an deiz de Reflets Reply with quote

Hello,
I will give you this as soon as I can; if somebody else does it before, it's cool;
best wishes,
alan
Bertuuald

PostPosted: 23/11/2007 23:33:28    Post subject: tenval an deiz de Reflets Reply with quote

It's something like that :
The days are dark, now, in my home,
Because my darling is not in here.
Napoleon is not very happy to see 
That there are some girls in his army...

hmmm, it's quite difficult to explain what there is behind this song. Do you know Saku Koivu, the hockey player ?
saku

PostPosted: 24/11/2007 13:57:48    Post subject: tenval an deiz de Reflets Reply with quote

4x9nu3ndthanks! this is a good indication of what it is about. thank you.

saku koivu comes from my home town of turku, and he played for the local team, TPS, back in the old days when we were the best in finland...but no, i never met him...saku is a common name in finland, but in estonia, is famous for being the name of a beer!

best wishes

saku
saku

PostPosted: 24/11/2007 14:00:32    Post subject: tenval an deiz de Reflets Reply with quote

should have added, that it seems like it is one of the many stories of a young girl who runs away to joint the army in search of her lover, perhaps?

saku
Bertuuald

PostPosted: 25/11/2007 00:27:52    Post subject: tenval an deiz de Reflets Reply with quote

Effectively, it starts like these songs.. but in breton "an hini a garan" means "the person (boy or girl) I love", so at the end of the song I don't know if "the girls at the army" represent the girl who comes to see the soldier she loves... or if the soldier who left his (in fact, "her") home is not finally a girl ! It's a funny song :-)
alan
Administrateur

PostPosted: 26/11/2007 16:29:06    Post subject: tenval an deiz de Reflets Reply with quote

Bertuuald speaks of "An hani a garan" or "an hini a garan" (the person I love) ; there somebody speaks of his or her love gone in a foreign country in search of work;
"Teñval an de" or "Teñval an deiz" (Dark is the day), is about a girl who dresses up as a man to go to the war in search of her love;
I have to say that as singing often a small part of the traditionnal songs, it is a "photograph" in place of a "film"; the purpose never was to sing all the verses to people who don't understand one word; I ever felt better to give the desire to know more, as you do here.
Best wishes,
alan
saku

PostPosted: 26/11/2007 20:30:30    Post subject: tenval an deiz de Reflets Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you, for increasing my knowledge and my pleasure in this song!

all the best

saku
Peter

PostPosted: 04/12/2007 21:48:34    Post subject: lyrics Reply with quote

where can I find the entire breton text of tenval an deiz and the entire translation?
Henri

PostPosted: 08/12/2007 20:20:40    Post subject: Tenval an deiz Reply with quote

Hello.

There is a tradition of similar songs in folk music.  The english one "High Germany" could be compared to that. It happened in History, as some true examples have been apparently recorded. In the same way, some girls managed to hide their gender to join the navy, and more strangely, to become an executioner! The novelist Nicole Avril has written a novel inspired by this last one: "Monsieur de Lyon". But this is another story...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Alan Stivell - Forum officiel Forum Index -> Forum 1 -> débattre / breutaat / debate All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Réponse rapide:
Pseudo: 

Smilies

Jump to:  

Index | Create a forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Cookies | Charte | Conditions générales d'utilisation